I’ve been asked to supply questions for book clubs and reading circles. Here are a few I came up with just to get things started. If you have some you’d like me to add, send them along!
Questions about The HomePort Journals
- What was your first impression of Marc?
- And Helena?
- In your estimation, who was the most sympathetic character?
- How did your opinion of Captain Staunton change throughout the story? Were you surprised by his role in events?
- What were your thoughts about the setting of the novel? Would you live in Provincetown? Year round?
- Why do you think Marc was so determined to help Cole even though he kept ruling him out as a romantic interest?
- Does Marc come off as unfeeling to you when he reacts to Cole’s portrait of him? Were Marc’s reservations about own emotional readiness legitimate or was he just being a drama queen?
- Armistead Maupin calls the family gay folks often create the “logical” vs. “biological” family. The HomePort Journals makes such a family of gay, straight, and elderly people. Does that work for you, and if so why? If not, why?
- Were you surprised by the ending of the novel? Why or why not?
- What do you think will happen next to the main characters?